According to Mackay (2019), psychologists have long studied the inability of humans to make changes. They have uncovered five primary reasons why change efforts fall short.
The five reasons are
- we’re motivated by negative emotions,
- we get trapped in “all or nothing” thinking,
- we start too big and too vague,
- we forget that failure is a part of the process, and, most relevant to our profession as we work with pet owners,
- we don’t make a commitment. Major change needs a specific and dedicated commitment.
Can you identify the reasons why you find it so hard to start or continue with a new healthy approach to life program? Drop me a comment below, which of these do you feel is your biggest barrier.